Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ohhh noo

Remember those goals I posted? Of course you do, it's just below!
Well... how do I put this lightly? I haven't really accomplished them.
I mean, I have the entire text written except a short blurb about what it can do for humans, which I am leaving till last because I am not 100% sure I want to include it. I mean, its about hibernation culture and not necessarily the science and possibilities of it.
As for the pictures, I have all the western jumping mouse's illustrations done and 1 Red-Breasted Nuthatch illustration done. That means I have about (4x3=12, give or take a few...) 13 left. Funny, because I thought I said I had 13 left to do last time hah. Somewhere there is something wrong. I should have at least 1 more illustration done by tonight.

As far as other progress, I have made some. I found a typeface I am really enjoying and think would work perfectly. It is a serif with a bit of uncleanness about it. It looks very strong and it's not destroyed or anything, but it has elements that are a bit more "natural" than a typeface like Bodoni. Anyway, I think it'll look good in my book because its more "natural" and after all I am writing about nature. I'd also like to use Helvetica as a contrast.

Other thoughts about my book on the design:
I've desided that since the writing in my book is basically a bunch of contrasting - contrasting fact and fiction, much of the design will reflect this. So I'll have the serif + sans serif, the sketchy drawings + sterile lines, very natural colours + jewel tones or something.. etc.

And names? Names you ask?
Basically I want it to contrast as well. I'd like to have the main title be a bit vague and fun and then have the subtitle very scientific. I think I have the subtitle arranged but the main one is harder:

Options:
H is for Hibernation: An Ethology of Hibernation

Homebodies: An Ethology of Hibernation

Guess Who's Coming to Denner: An Ethology of Hibernation

Hibernation is for Lovers: An Ethology of Hibernation

Call me in 4 Months: An Ethology of Hibernation

what do you think?

Ethology is a little term I found thanks to wikipedia. It means the study of animal behavior which is conveniantly just what I'm doing! la la la...

No comments: